The more you are motivated by Love, The more Fearless & Free your action will be. ~Dalai Lama XIV
Put Your Love into Action!
Portland United Against Hate
We at the Love Action Coalition are grateful to have an opportunity to stand in alliance with the City of Portland Office of Neighborhood Involvement’s Portland United Against Hate partnership. You can find a statement about the city initiative here.
APRIL 2017 Love Action Items
4/22 10:00am March for Science
5/1 12:00pm May Day – All Power to the People Rally
APRIL 2017 OregonLove Action Items
Tell Your Legislator: Invest in Oregon Families. We believe everyone can and should succeed in Oregon’s economy, but right now, too few Oregonians are thriving and meeting their potential. Our economy does not work for most families simply because we do not have the revenue needed to support Oregon schools, critical services, and infrastructure. For more than a generation, Oregon has made cuts to schools and services, limiting the opportunity of ordinary Oregonians and undermining our future — just to make budgets balance — and now, we are facing a $1.7 billion shortfall and looming cuts to critical services. Click here for an easy to fill online form to contact your legislators today and tell them to invest in Oregon’s Families.
Want to help effect change in districts that need representative pressure but you live in Portland? A Better Oregon has made it easy. With *rump and congressional republicans wreaking havoc on federal budgets, and a $1.6 billion budget deficit at the state level, it’s more crucial than ever that we tell lawmakers it’s time to make the right choice: ask corporations to pay their fair share so that we can invest in schools and critical services.
- Attend an Oregon State Representative or Senator’s town hall to tell them that cuts are unacceptable so long as Oregon ranks dead-last in corporate taxes. Especially in need of representation are Rep. Buehler’s in Bend onApril 7th, Senator DeBoer’s in Ashland on April 15th, and Senator Boquist’s on April 6th in McMinnville. Learn more and RSVP for legislator town halls here.
- Join us at local phone banks in Portland, where we will be calling into neighboring red and purple districts to empower our fellow progressives to call their legislators and say: “Cuts to critical services are unacceptable as long as we are 50th in corporate taxes. It’s time to raise revenue.” We will be there Thursday 4/6/2017 and hope you can join us then, or any time you are available. It only takes 2 hours and can make a big difference. All phone banks are located at our office at 618 NW Glisan #203! Learn more and RSVP for upcoming phone banks here. Phone banks this week are Wednesday 4/6 and Thursday 4/6 from 12-2 p.m. and 5:30-8 p.m.
Oregon Lobby Days
With the Oregon state legislature now in session, we encourage you to stand up for causes you believe in and make sure that those who are elected to represent you actually do. There are many opportunities for local political activism during the annual Lobby Day events at the state capitol. Below are links to some upcoming:
Find Lobby Day events on OPAL’s Lobby Day Calendar
Love Action Item Recap
Coalition member Beven Byrnes recently had the opportunity to put her privilege of position and Love in action in helping create cleaner air for all through the legislative process right here in Oregon. On March 20th Beven joined air quality advocates at the capital in Salem to deliver testimony before the House Committee on Energy and Environment in support of HB 2669 (the Community Toxins Reporting Act) on behalf of Bridges Middle School (a nonprofit school in Portland serving students with learning differences ) where she serves as Principal. You can read a longer blog post with video of the testimony and links to news coverage about this issue here.
“It was invigorating to play an active role influencing lawmakers and it served as a great reminder of how lucky we are here in Oregon. Our legislators are incredibly accessible and your voice is encouraged and needed to inform those elected to represent our views, values and beliefs”, Beven reported on her experience. We strongly encourage you to put your Love in Action by visiting OregonLegislature.gov today. Type in your zip code or keywords of issues you are about to learn about active bills this session and when and where you can lend your important supportive or opposing voice. You really can make a difference, if you Act!
ACLU’s People Power – Freedom Cities Campaign – We encourage you to learn more about the ACLU’s new People Power organizing initiative and the roll out of their Freedom Cities plan of action (more to come).
April 1st – Fire the Fool Rally – Downtown Portland and throughout the nation.
Info for Portland Event
Show Up, Stand Up, Speak Up, Act Up! #LoveAction
On-Going Love Action Agenda
If you haven’t yet viewed our 100 Day Challenge we encourage you do so. This is our initial campaign to encourage you to get involved in the resistance and bring your loving intention into action.
Step Up and get Involved
- Visit our learn page
- Visit our connect page
- Join our Facebook community
- Join our email list for Love Action Alerts
Social Action Resources:
- Indivisible Guide – A Practical Guide for Resisting https://www.indivisibleguide.com/
- Oregon State Legislature – Find your elected officials, search for bill and/or budget hearings by issue or representative keywords, sign up for alerts.
- Contact your Senator https://www.senate.gov/senators/contact/
- Contact your Representative http://www.house.gov/representatives/find/
- Support the Boycott https://grabyourwallet.org/
- Tips for writing letters to editors http://ctb.ku.edu/en/table-of-contents/advocacy/direct-action/letters-to-editor/main
Let’s do what we can…let’s put our Love in Action!